Tuesday, September 14, 2010

BMX Action -- July 1983


















Toby Henderson out front of the cruiser class of the Memphis NBL Wars of the Stars race. Always good to see the cruiser class making the cover.

I remember this race coverage and seem to wonder how big of a race this must have been to be getting almost ten pages of coverage. Such good race coverage at the time. I think at this point is where I became more aware of brands and who was my favorite was.













Nice photo of Bubba Hayes power out of one the turns that the Memphis track had. If you look at the layout of the track, that is about all it had.













Great photo of Greg Hill looking BEAT after a tough semi. And another really cool one of  6 year old Willie Huebner and his dad walking off the track after his sew up rolled off the rim. Classic Bob Osborn. Also take note of the tracks layout. At least it had "The World's Biggest Berm."













I just had to post this for two reason. First, the rock walk is the first trick I ever leaned. An second, every time I see that classic Taco Bell sign, I just have to eat there. Damn you Buff!













This issue has a great interview withe Brent and Brian Patterson. Lots of excellent photos in there. this two page shot is fitting for the era and is still a true BMX classic.













It will not come to anyone who follows this Blog  surprise that I quite enjoy a good berm shot photo. This one of RL tearing into a berm, grip down  is so good. I used to have a hard telling RL and Buff apart in some of the bike test in BMX Action. You have to look at the patches on their jerseys to figure out who is who.













To view more visit this site. http://oldschoolmags.com/

2 comments:

Gob said...

I remember this issue well- My Dad built one of those starting gates for me. I ended up repurposing it as a kick turn ramp, too. Good Times, good post.

80's BMX said...

This is a great issue. Thanks for posting the race results. Looking through the race results was the first thing I would do when I got a mag.

Thanks

BMX Plus March 1984 Freestyle Section

 A small section from the March 1984 issue of BMX Plus, two pages of your favorite Freestyle action. Zoot Scooting Boogie, or something like...