Monday, August 16, 2010

BMX Action October 1982


















Another great issue of BMX Action. As I was looking through this issue, I was pretty amazed at how many great black and white photos there were. A majority of the content looks to have been shot on T-Max, which is fine with me. So many great photos. I could have posted the whole issue up on here. 

I have often wondered who that rider was in these Thun Cranks adds? If anyone knows, let me now. I bet Thun made a killing stocking all of those Huffy Bikes that used to come with their cranks.













I can not get over how cool this track layout was. The amateur section was a little short, but WOW! What a cool Pro section. I think every track these days needs to have a waterhole. Greg Hill out in front over the waterhole.













Bob Medrano with a classic hip hanger. Take note of that track lay out. I sure could build that in my backyard. Love the quad rollers out of the berm in the pro section. And what were they thinking putting those triples in front of the waterhole? Bet that made for some fun Pro races. Great layout none the less. I would love to see some footage from this race.













Two weeks in a row and a Kuwahara has made it into a post. Pretty hard to avoid when their bike is attached to one of the biggest movies ever. Funny, I heard Mike Buff was a stunt double for ET himself. Very cool. They do sort of look alike.













Great to see these guys putting these bike through their paces. Some heavy riding from Buff and RL proved too much for some of the components of the bike. After bending the axles and fork on their test bike, Kuwahara went back and changed the fork to a chrome-moly fork, and the axles to heat treated axles. I wonder if it actually got done?













RL sliding the Scorpion Super Team bike through an awesome berm slide. When I see that name I think of some kind of GI Joe enemy. The "Scorpion Super Team" Strike Force. GO JOE!  Surprised these bikes never really caught on. With it's lugged and brazed construction, and Tange tubing to go with the steeper steering tube angle, I can see how it would not fit in with the more laid back bikes of the times. And brazing never caught on in the BMX world full of TIG welded frames.













If you have a chance, this issue has some much more stuff in it. Go here to view the rest of it. http://oldschoolmags.com/BMXA_82.html

2 comments:

D said...

Looking back on it, those bike tests were hilarious. Funny how none of us realized the conflict of interest in "testing" a bike for a magazine while running ads from the same company in the magazine.

Anonymous said...

I'm back in the saddle...this time on a KTM 450 sxf...been a long time...
My poem was in this issue...Big Rad Dan :)

Daniel Partch

BMX Plus March 1984 Freestyle Section

 A small section from the March 1984 issue of BMX Plus, two pages of your favorite Freestyle action. Zoot Scooting Boogie, or something like...