Monday, June 28, 2010

BMX Action April 1980






















Before Eddy Fiola was crowned King of the Skateparks, Bicycle Motocross Action had already named Tinker Juarez as the King. This iconic cover of Tinker laying out some style at the Lakewood Skatepark is ranked up there in my top ten covers from this time frame.

Not too often will I post up one of the editorial pages from any old publication. But when it includes artwork by Mr Bob Haro himself, I just had to get it posted. Here is a link for a bunch of his awesome drawings. Go get yourself a new desktop image.













I had run many a set of these Tioga Comp ST tires, I feel kinda lame for not knowing that the ST stood for Stadium Tire. I get a black mark for that against my old school knowledge. Good to see the overall design of the Comp ST didn't change much over the years. Great tires.













Tinker Juarez may be known to most people as a winning mountain bike racer. But his roots run deep into BMX history. This spread of him tearing up Lakewood Skatepark is proof of that. And I really could care less if anyone says anything about his knees in that table top picture. Awesome style on a bike that has wheels that weigh more than my whole bike now.















Giving goofy footed riders something to be proud about. I am probably wrong about that. It is more than likely an opposite 360. That or he spins opposite than he airs. That always screwed me up. I am so confused now.













Toby Henderson leading at the JAG World Championship. A BMX track with flat wood turns? Yep. These tracks even had wooded table top style jumps in them. Who needs knobbies on a track like that? Might have been the reason for Tioga coming out with those Come ST tires. Thank goodness these track didn't stick around too long, and faster banked tracks with more jumps became popular. Sorry for Tioga though, they had to re-brand those tires for street and park riders. It worked out in the end.













Yeah. Yeah. I know. What the hell would I be posting up a Luja Customs ad for? It just comes with that little sneak picture in the right hand lower corner. Get you hands on that custom wheel and you would be a rich person. First sneak peek at Skyway's graphite Tuff Wheel.













Another classic shot of Bob Haro. I have seen this picture so many times posted in forums and what not. Peddlin' Lee Medlin's turn bar is a thing of beauty also. Think I may go and do a few myself today.













If you want to see this issue in full. Download it here.

No comments:

BMX Plus March 1984 Freestyle Section

 A small section from the March 1984 issue of BMX Plus, two pages of your favorite Freestyle action. Zoot Scooting Boogie, or something like...