Monday, August 02, 2010

BMX Plus September 1983


















What a great cover shot. This might mark the point when BMX Plus started to cram as much stuff onto their covers as they could. Number 55 has a blood red though bubble coming out of his head. He really should be thinking of the race at hand, not coast to coast coverage. 

These Redline PL-24's always seemed to be the tallest 24" cruisers out at the time. The six inch head tube didn't help matters. Wonder how many of these are around now a days? Pretty rare bird, and not to mention finding a fork with a nine inch long steering tube.














Here is a picture of that head tube. What was Redline thinking putting on those Tech II levers? The test crew for Plus had a solution, but I wouldn't call it a good fix. Horrible levers. I seem to recall Redline switching over to the Tech III when it came out. Good move.













Looks like Tim Judge made another Rad Gallery. He had the best one footed table tops. And yes, Dia-Compe is the number one brake in BMX. I might have had 4 or five set of those MX-1000 and MX-900 brakes. It was cool to run the colors all switched out. Red and black, black and red, gold and black. Who else did that?













I couldn't imagine bumping elbows with these guys in the AA pro class. Stu Thompson and Brian Patterson look like they are about to lock up while fighting for first place. These guys were crazy fast.

1 comment:

Capt. Richard said...

AWESOME! I used to get super rad, I got my first photo in the nov1983 bmxplus, "unidentified Jag rider at te espn nationals, next photo had my name for setting records at redline bmx skills competition, but I dont know what follow up issue , I believe march or may of 1984 bmx plus. I am searching because after many trials in life I dont have a single pic of me jummping. any help finding pics would be super awesome. I just cant find the mags to go through. Thanks for your post

BMX Plus March 1984 Freestyle Section

 A small section from the March 1984 issue of BMX Plus, two pages of your favorite Freestyle action. Zoot Scooting Boogie, or something like...